Areas of Instruction:
- Action Oriented Research
- Human Development in Context
- Systems Thinking and Intervention
- Leadership and Change
- Area of Research Specialization
- Organizational Theories
- Public Policy and Practice
- Management Theories
- Information Systems and Change
- Program Evaluation, Theory & Application
- Technology, Teaching, and Learning
- Media Studies
Scholarly & Professional Interests:
- Online teaching and learning
- Online community-building
- Faculty training and development for online teaching
- Assessment online
- Collaboration online
- Use of social media
- Use of mobile technology
- Social justice
- Technology and social justice
- Action research
- National Association of Social Workers
- League for Innovation in the Community College
- Sloan-C Consortium of Institutions and Organizations Committed to Quality Online Education
Honors and Awards:
Philip E. Frandson Award for Literature, University Professional and Continuing Education Association, 1999
- The Excellent Online Instructor: Strategies for Professional Development (Jossey-Bass, 2011)
- Faculty Training and Mentoring at a Distance: Learning Together in the Virtual Community, Published in Cases on Digital Technology in Higher Education: Issues and Challenges (IAP, 2011)
- Assessing the Online Learner: Resources and Strategies for Faculty (Jossey-Bass, 2009)
- Building Online Learning Communities: Effective Strategies for the Virtual Classroom (2nd Edition) (Jossey-Bass, 2007)
- Collaborating Online: Learning Together in Community (Jossey-Bass: 2005)
- The Virtual Student: A Profile and Guide (Jossey-Bass: 2003)
- Lessons from the Cyberspace Classroom: The Realities of Online Teaching (Jossey-Bass: 2001)
- “Collaborative Group Work Using Mobile Technology,” “Using Mobile Technology to Empower Student Learning,” “The Excellent Online Instructor,” Wikis, Blogs, and Facebook, Oh My! Using Web 2.0 Effectively,” League for Innovation Conference, San Diego, CA.
- “Collaborating Online,” Bridgepoint Education, San Diego, CA.
- “Effective Online Instruction,” Rocky Mountain Retreat, Fielding Graduate University, Denver, CO.
- “Collaborative Group Work Using Mobile Technology,” “Using Mobile Technology to Empower Student Learning,” “The Excellent Online Instructor,” Distance Teaching and Learning Conference, Madison, WI.
- “Learning Communities Revisited,” Keynote Address, Davenport University, MN.
- “The Excellent Online Instructor: 10 Tips for Training and Development,” “Strategies and Tools for Assessing the Online Learner,” Online Teaching and Learning Conference (OTL), Acted as co-chair for the conference.
- “Making the Transition,” Yoga Alliance Leadership Conference, Palm Springs, CA.
- “Matching Training to Experience: A Phased Approach to Faculty Development,” “The Role of Community in Online Teaching, Assessment, and Faculty Development,” Sloan-C Conference, Orlando, FL.
- “The Future of Online Learning,” Keynote Address, T-Bug Conference, Dallas, TX.
- Doctoral Faculty, Educational Leadership and Change
- Masters Faculty, Organization Management and Development
- Certificate Faculty, Online Teaching and Learning Certificate
Other Professional Activities:
1996 to present, Managing Partner, Crossroads Consulting Group