Areas of Instruction:
- Organization Development and Change
- Adult Learning
- Leadership and Management
- Organizational Theories
Scholarly & Professional Interests:
- Designing adult learning
- Team development
- Managing change
- Action research consultation
- Networked organizations
- Community college leadership and governance
- Global Austin
- Executive Women in Texas Government
- Austin Area Urban League
- Texas Association of Community College Trustees and Administrators
- Envision Central Texas
- Capital Area Council Of Governments
Honors and Awards:
- Elected to Pi Mu Epsilon (national mathematics honorary).
- Listed in: Outstanding Educators of America; Who's Who in American Women; and Who's Who in the South and Southwest.
- Texas Writing Competitions: Poetry and Essay Divisions
- Elected for two terms (through public election) to Board of Trustees, Austin Community College District, Austin, Texas -- Terms of office 2000-2006 and 2006-2012
- Visiting Scholar plaques from The University of Texas-Austin, Community College Leadership Program for each year from 2005 to present.
- Leadership Texas 2008 (Selected to be one of the 100 women from across the state of Texas to study the educational issues and the changing economy of Texas)
- Mink, B, Husson, W.J., & Stiller, J (2007) Organizational Learning at an Institution in the Business of Learning: A Case Study. OD Practitioner,Vol.39, No.4 (27-32)
- “College/Public School Alliances to Address State-wide Decline in Citizen Education Level” in Proceedings of the National Conference of the Adult Higher Education Alliance, October 2005.
- Open Organizations: A Model for Effectiveness, Renewal, and Intelligent Change. Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1994. (With Elizabeth Downes, Oscar Mink, and Keith Owen.)
- Developing High Performance People: The Art of Coaching. Addison-Wesley, 1993. (With Keith Owen and Oscar Mink.)
- Change at Work. Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1993. (With Pieter Esterhuysen, Oscar Mink, and Keith Owen)
- Groups at Work. Educational Technology Publications, l987. (With Oscar Mink and Keith Owen.)
- Confronting Student Attitudes. Media Systems Corporation, a subsidiary of Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., 1979 (With John E. Roueche and Oscar G. Mink.)
- The Language of Mathematics. Prentice-Hall Publishing Company, 1979. (With Nelda Roueche.)
- Assessing Student Opinion of the Learning Experience. Media Systems Corporation, a Subsidiary of Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc., 1979. (With John E. Roueche and Oscar G. Mink.)
- Developing and Managing Open Organizations: A Model and Methods for Maximizing Organizational Potential.
- Learning Concepts, Inc., 1979. (With Oscar G. Mink and James M. Shultz.)
- "Focusing on Mastery and Individualized Instruction." New Directions for Higher Education, Winter 1977.
- Implementing Personalized Instruction. Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 1975.
Additionally, I have been cited as a substantial contributor to the content of several works including: \
- Telecom Manager’s Planning Guide and Workbook: Strategies for Continuous Improvement. Telecom-Australia, 1991.
- Proceedings of the TQMI International Conference. Australia Total Quality Management Institute, 1991.
The Prelude: A Novel for Managers. Telecom Australia, 1993.
In addition to the above cited works during the course of my over forty years of consulting and training with profit and non-profit organizations, I have written numerous comprehensive training manuals in the areas of: Team Development; Coaching and Mentoring; Organizational Change; Leadership Development; Stress Management; Reality Therapy; Transactional Analysis for Mangers.
I have been very active doing professional presentations for my entire professional career. I have made an average of two professional presentations a month to various groups for the past 40 years. These included speeches to national conventions and regional associations as well as seminars presented to groups within a particular organization. I would estimate that in my professional career so far that I have presented to at least 25,000 different professional persons.
Titles of some recent presentations have included:
- Leadership Success Factors
- The Community Briefing Program and Community College Foundation Development
- Providing Access to Educational Opportunities in Rural Communities: The Role of an Urban Community College
- No One to Waste: A Board Members Perspective
- A Partnership of Business and Community Colleges to Meet Workforce Needs of the Nonprofit Sector
- Adult Learners in the 21st Century
- Developing Effective Community Alliances
- Serving a Culturally Diverse Community: Connecting All Students to College
- Linking Mater Planning, Budget Development and Effectiveness Measures
- College/Public School Alliances to Address State-wide Decline in Citizen Education Level
- Systematic Models of Organizational Change
- Two year grant from the U.S. Department of Education/Department of Defense to develop and pilot test curriculum modules to train for physician assistants and dental assistants.
- Dean, School of Human and Organizational Development, Fielding Graduate University (1997 to 2001)
- Professor, School of Human and Organization Development, Fielding Graduate University(1978-present)
- Director, Community College Leadership Concentration & Adjunct Professor, School of Educational Leadership and Change (ELC), Fielding Graduate University (2002 – 2010)
- Board of Trustees, Austin Community College District, Austin TX Initial publicly elected term 2000-2006; Re-elected in 2006 for a second term 2006-2012. Board Vice Chair, 2002-2004; Board Chair, 2004 – 2006 and 2010 to 2012; Board Secretary, 2009-2010. ACC Foundation Board Member, 2000-2002; and 2008-2010
- Guest Lecturer, School of Education, University of Texas at Austin, 2007 to present Periodic lectures in doctoral level courses in: Organizational Change & Behavior; and Social/ Cultural Influences on Education.
- Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Australia Visiting Professor, Innovation and Service Management Program, (1990 to 2000)
- President, Somerset Consulting Group, Inc., Austin, TX (1977 – 1998)
- Austin Community College, Austin, TX, Associate Dean, Learning Resources and Staff Development, (1973-1977)
- Mitchell College, Statesville, North Carolina Dean of Educational Development and Chairperson, Division of Mathematics and Applied Science, (1971-1973)
- National Laboratory for Higher Education, Durham, North Carolina Program Associate for Training, Junior and Community College Division, (1969-1971)
- Duke Hospital, Durham, North Carolina Statistician and Computer Programmer, Immunology Department, (1968-1969)
- Gaston Community College, Gastonia, North Carolina Mathematics Faculty Member, (1967-1968)
Other Professional Activities:
- Board Member: Free Minds Project
- Board Member: ARC of Central Texas