Scholarly & Professional Interests:
Appreciative inquiry, improvisation and organizational innovation, organizational learning, spiritual development, social impact of information technology and information revolution, global studies. Frank is also an active jazz pianist. In addition to leading his own trios and quartets, he has traveled extensively in the United States, England, and Mexico with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra.
Academy of Management
Honors and Awards:
- Co-Winner of Best Paper Award for Planning on Spontaneity: Lessons from Jazz for a Democratic Theory of Change, 2003.
- Co-Winner of Best Paper Award, Organizational Development Division of National Academy of Management, 1988.
- Co-editor (2001). Appreciative Inquiry and Organizational Transformation. Vermont: Greenwood Books.
- Barrett, F. J. "Cultivating an Aesthetics of Unfolding: Jazz Improvisation as a Self-Organized System." In S. Linstead and H. J. Hopfl (eds.) The Aesthetics of Organizations. London: Sage Press, 2000.
- Barrett, F. J. "Creativity and Improvisation in Jazz and Organizations: Implications for Organizational Learning." Organization Science, Vol 9, No. 5, September-October, 1998, pp. 605 - 622.
- Barrett, F. J. "Knowledge Creating as Dialogical Accomplishment: A Constructionist Perspective." In A. Montouri and R. Purser (eds)., Social Creativity Vol. 1. New York: Hampton Press, 1998
Barrett, F. J. "The Organizational Construction of Masculine Hegemony: The Case of the U. S. Navy." Gender, Work, and Organizations, Vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 129-142, July 1996.
- Barrett, F. J. "Creating Appreciative Learning Cultures." Organization Dynamics, Volume 24, no. 1, pp. 36-49, Fall 1995.
Cooperrider, D., F. J. Barrett, and S. Srivastva. "Social Construction and Appreciative Inquiry: A Journey in Organizational Theory." In Hosking, D., P. Dachler and K. Gergen (eds.) Management and Organization: Relational Alternatives to Individualism. Aldershot: Avebury Press, 1995.
- Barrett, F. J. and D. Cooperrider. "Generative Metaphor Intervention: A New Approach to Intergroup Conflict." Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 1990, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 223-244.
- Barrett, F.J. & Fry, R. Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Approach to Building Cooperative Capacity.
- Barrett, F. J. & Hatch, M.J. Planning on Spontaneity: Lessons from Jazz for a Democratic Theory of Change. Paper.
- Published articles on metaphor, masculinity, improvisation, organizational change and organizational development in the Journal of Applied Behavioral Science; Human Relations; Organization Science, and Organizational Dynamics as well as numerous book chapters.
Other Professional Activities:
Frank has consulted to various organizations including Nike, Boeing, The U. S. Navy, Ford Motor Manufacturing Division, Ford Motor Information Strategy Group, Bell South, Granite Construction, GlaxxoWelcom, General Electric, British Petroleum, Nokia, Johnson and Johnson, Price Waterhouse Coopers, BBC, The Council of Great Lakes Governors, Omni Hotels, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, and University Hospitals of Cleveland.